My name is Molly Henard, and I’m the momma in our family – The Flying Hens. My husband, Chris, is a pilot for a major airline and we are able to use the flight benefits to travel the world! We’ve been married for 14 years, and have been able to go to so many beautiful places.
We currently live in Texas. In our free time, we volunteer with our church’s youth ministry. We really enjoy mentoring and spending time with youth to help guide them through those really hard teenage years! We also really enjoy food, craft beer, board games, and hanging out with friends.
We have 3 kids: Eli (6), Selah (4), and Lily (1). Sometimes we tag along with Chris on his trips, and sometimes we go on longer vacations and trips together. We plan to homeschool our kids in order to have the flexibility to travel when we want, and show our kids the world!
What is the passion that drives you to collect adventures?
As a family of 5, we’ve discovered that exploring new places together really connects us. It’s the unknown, it’s the discovery, it’s the learning about the world around us….TOGETHER. Quality time connecting is what drives our passion!
How did you discover this passion?
This really started with the ability to travel. With flight benefits, we really can go anywhere in the world and still not break the bank!
What is your favorite memory from one of your adventures?
Our overall favorite family vacation was our trip to Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks last summer. We stayed in a mountain top cabin close to Yellowstone, and outside our cabin was a wood-carved bear statue. The bear was in a pose with his arm raised. One day we heard our kids in hysterical laughter. They were saying, “who has to go potty?!” They’d raise their hand high, imitating the bear statue, and shout “I have to go potty!” Now, whenever we ask the question, we always laugh and think of that bear raising his hand to go potty!
If you could give someone advice about pursuing their passions and collecting adventures, what would it be?
I love the quote “Collect memories, not things.” This really describes how we live. We don’t really care about having fancy clothes or nice things, many toys or having the newest gadget. We buy used where we can, we cook our own meals at home, our kids have hand me down everything, etc. We would much rather spend the money towards a vacation or adventure! I know so many people who say they can’t afford to go (insert destination) because they can’t afford to travel. You need to rethink spending priorities, re-evaluate your budget. You’d be surprised at the things you can go without and cut back on, and every little bit will add up! Our children will most likely not remember much about the cool toy or game from their childhood, but they will remember the quality time they had together as a family, collecting adventures.
What are your top 3 life goals or bucket list items?
- My dream bucket-list vacation is to stay in an over-water bungalow in Bora Bora. I want to see little fish swim underneath my feet and dive into the water from my porch!
- I really want to see and experience the Northern Lights! The ideal trip would be somewhere in Norway, staying in a glass igloo.
- I want my children to grow up with a respect and appreciation for the world around them. I want them to experience other cultures and have a desire to help change the world for good. This is why we homeschool- so that we have the freedom and flexibility to travel, to learn, and to experience life anywhere. The best kind of learning happens outside!
What are your favorite road trip snacks?
I love sweet and salty trail mix!
What are 5 fun facts or quirks that not many people know about you?
- My husband and I were on a national tv game show and won a jet-ski!
- My husband and I met when we were 15, and we’ve been together for 21 years!
- I love rap music!
- I have been drawing since I was old enough to pick up a pencil. I went to art school and majored in illustration. My first job out of college was designing greeting cards for a major greeting card company. I quit that job and started my own wedding invitation design company. After a few years, I put my business on hold because my children became my focus, but I hope to return to it one day!
- I really love running. I’ve run 13 half marathons and 2 full marathons! I guess I’m better at short distances. I placed in my age group in a few 5ks!
Are there any Instagram accounts or blogger that really inspire you?
@oureveryjlife – This family is the real deal. They are a full-time travel family and visit amazing places with their two little children!
@driftwoodsfamily – I love following this family because their kids are a little older and give me inspiration on where to travel when our kids are able to handle extreme hiking and adventures!
@wildbluefamily – This family inspires me because their kids are almost the same ages as ours. I love following the wild adventures they take together!
@microadventurefamily – They are a full-time RV travel family and share their little-daily adventures around the US. I love how transparent this family is about life and travel. I keep bookmarking every place they visit!
How can people connect with you?
You can connect with me here: